Friday, September 17, 2010

I can has blog topic?

I’m going to start things off by apologizing.

You see, I tried thinking of things to write about over this past week, and I’ve pretty much come up with nothing interesting. I have to write a lot for my job. But it’s hardly anything entertaining, so it’s easy. I did get myself prepared today. I got myself a Red Bull and a pizza and I’m just going to write until something mildly interesting happens.

Because, you know, I hate to fail.

I’m still trying to stick to a certain degree of anonymity, so it’s hard to come up with things to say without blatantly giving myself away. Melanie has been trying to help me come up with a few ideas. Mainly that I write what interests me, and what I know. I’d like to keep all the relationship stuff on her site for now, unless I just need to get something out that doesn’t fall within her PG-13 guidelines. And, unlike some people, I actually care about what I submit for her approval.

I think my best bet (and Melanie’s suggestion) is to write a pseudo “How To” article.

Or, in this case, the intro to one.

I’ve recently decide that it’s high time for a computer upgrade. It’s a reward to myself for being a responsible adult and paying off debt, as well as a birtdaychristmasholycrapideserveritaftertheyearihad present. And yes, I just made up a word. Deal, mmm’kay?

Am I rationalizing? Probably. But it’s okay, because there are a bunch of games coming out soon. Err… I mean, I will be way moar productive!!!111

There is just one small problem. While I have a lot of experience building computers for myself (and others), the last time I did build one, it went horribly, horribly wrong. To this day I am still not 100% sure what happened. I purchased all the right parts. I really did all the research that I could and found the best combination of hardware. Then I bought two of everything. One set for me, and one for my former significant other.

I took my time and relished being finally able to use “good” parts to build a few nice gaming rigs. I carefully laid everything out methodically assembled both monstrosities before I ever tested one. Oh, but I was so sure it would work perfectly fine.

But then it wouldn’t boot up.

Oh shit. Ohshitohshitohshit! Now I was getting angry stares from my (former) ol’ lady. The angry stares turned into mild nagging. Eventually, the nagging turned into a fully fledged verbal assault that had me wanting to cower in the corner.

I tried my best to diagnose the problem. And to this day I think that all THREE motherboards that I had were bad. Everything else that I tested seemed to work fine. But I never lived it down. And it traumatized me. This was three years ago.

Eventually, I did get those computers to work. Sort of. They never did become the powerful gaming computers that I had intended them to be. The beratement that I got from my ex was just too stressful and eventually I just gave up on them. And I since I was traveling a bit anyway, I justified the purchase of laptops. Now that my laptop is starting to show its age, its time I try my hand at building a computer again.

So, tomorrow might not bring a continuation of this story. Or maybe it will. I do plan on making a How-To post on putting a computer together. It saves me a crap ton of money instead of paying for a pre-built one from a company. (EFF YOU DELL!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment