Saturday, September 18, 2010

This post is like Seinfeld minus the funny.

Did you know that Microsoft Word 2007 has an option to upload a blog post directly to Blogger? I type everything in word before I even think about publishing it, because honestly I am not that great of a speller. Word’s word database (that seems like an odd statement to me for some reason) is much better than the one built into Google Chrome. But as cool as it is to be able to upload directly from Word, I am not going to try to do it right now. But it’s nice that I have the option. Thanks Microsoft!

Okay, enough stalling I guess.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the new computer today. Of course, as soon as I had some free time to sit down in my office and start doing some research, the air conditioner decided that it was time to blow up. This probably isn’t going to be as detailed of a blog post as I had envisioned when I was finishing up my Day One challenge. But I think that life want to be able to roundhouse kick you in the groin every once in a while, just to let you know it’s there. But I don’t let that hold me down. No Sir.

During my brainstorming today I’ve come up with a few ideas and guidelines for what I want to do. First off, I am going to try and save money and use some of the existing hardware from my aforementioned failures of computers that I built a few years ago. I should be able to reuse at least the case, power supply, and hard drives.

Of course, I just hope that I don’t get any evil technology devils that want to come and transfer themselves from my last failure.

I’m going to use an Intel processor – probably a Core i7 and a solid state hard drive for the Windows 7 boot drive. Other than that, thing are pretty much in the air. I want to be able to play anything coming out this holiday season on max settings, so there needs to be a good video card in there. Or hell, it might be TWO video cards. I just don’t know how crazy I’m going to be. At some point I will need to come up with a budget. But I don’t want to just yet because budgets are not fun. And if you could believe it, WAY less interesting on what is turning out to be an extremely boring post.

Seriously, I just reread everything so far and I don’t even have anything good to say about myself. Two posts in two days talking about thinking about building a computer is pretty lame.

Melanie has been wonderfully encouraging of what I have been writing. I will say it’s probably why I have not yet given up and hung my head in shame.

Fortunately for me, tomorrow is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Maybe I’ll use that knowledge to my advantage so tomorrow when I am boring, I can at least be boring with some flair. 

1 comment:

  1. I knew we were friends for a reason. The sheer fact that you knew yesterday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day catapults you up my friends list. I tortured most people I could text message yesterday with insults that included words like "bilge rat" and "scurvy."

    I promise you, the more you write, the more things will jump up and slap you in the face as blog material. I am fascinated to hear the E! True Hollywood Story of how to put together a computer without having a mental breakdown. But...a mental breakdown would be GREAT blog material... ;)

    ReplyDelete